Nutmeg is typically ground from evergreen tree seeds. It can be cultivated from any species within the genus myristica. It is made from the seed, and mace is made from the leftover webbing around the shell. Nutmeg has many uses. It was a staple of 18th-century cooking, and many people currently add it to sweet foods like cookies, oatmeal, and cake. Those who are wondering how this spice tastes should consider purchasing some raw seeds and grinding them for the freshest taste.
You should grate nutmeg fresh to preserve the flavor. If the natural oils dry out, then the taste will disappear. Whole seeds should be covered and stored in a cool place. An entire seed should provide approximately two or three teaspoons of ground spice. This spice also goes well with dairy products. It is often used in custards, puddings, and warm milk. Ice cream from Grenada often includes a lot of of this wonderful spice. Cooking with nutmeg is relatively simple. This spice can actually be used in just about any recipe. Some people add this spice to grilled steaks or popovers. Those who are considering cooking with this spice should start by using small amounts. Large quantities can overpower the flavor of a dish.
For delicious and timeless desserts, try baking with nutmeg. Try baking a cake can be made from nutmeg, sour cream, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and eggs. You can shop online to find a specialty product that suits your specific needs. This spice can be combined with:
When baking it’s important to remember that a small amount goes a long way.
How to Shop Nutmeg Online
It’s pretty easy to shop this spice online because the it’s inexpensive and easy to find. If you’re looking for a specialty product, then you may want to examine an online store that specializes in different spices. This spice has a very unique flavor and aroma. Learn more about the history of nutmeg, here.
Gone are the days when you had no choice but to venture out to the store for your shopping needs. Today, online is the primary way consumers shop. But let me ask you when was the last time you went online to restock on cumin? You more than likely haven’t because you probably needed the cumin right this instant! There are several reasons why you should skip the store shelves and choose to buy spices online instead.
The first reason why to buy spices online is variety.
- Online retailers offer many unique and uncommon spices.
- Broaden your horizons on new spices, like Wattleseed or Grains of Paradise.
- Browse hundreds of spices and mix up your flavor pallet!
The second reason why to shop for spices online is that you’ll gain knowledge about the spice.
- Product descriptions can include culture, country of origin, and traditional uses.
- Read about where and how the spice is sourced.
- Understand the flavor profile and explore recipes to use it in!
The third reason why to buy your spices online is you’ll omit the middle man.
- The process and production of spices is long: grower, harvester, initial processor, local traders, large processors, wholesalers, retailers, and last, you.
- The more hands the spice passes through the higher the cost.
- Buying straight from the source will ensure you’re buying spices fresh since they’re getting to you faster.
The fourth reason why to buy online is that you’ll be buying spices fresh and of higher quality.
- Did you know the turnaround time from picking to shelf is often 12-18 months?!
- Spices off the shelf will not be as robust since within a few months they lose flavor.
- Buying spices fresh will guarantee more flavor, aroma, and life.
- Buy spices whole for the longest shelf life and to avoid fillers, such as flours & stems, often included in ground spices.
So maybe it’s time to reexamine your spice cupboard… are some collecting dust? Toss them and check out online spice retailers for a restock of fresher, higher-quality spices. You’ll surely taste the difference and see why you should buy spices online vs. the store!
Here is a list of herbs and spices to bring the spirit of the holidays to your home. These are simply the must-have spices for the holidays. You can do a quick google search of holiday spices online to find the best place to buy spices online.
Some more common ingredients include:
It can be used to make a deliciously cozy fall drink and is a key ingredient in the pinnacle of all holiday meals, Pie. You can find a pre-made spice mix in the grocery store, but they are often $5 for a few teaspoons. There is no need to purchase those overpriced plastic containers of pre-mixed herbs and spices from the store. Do a quick search for holiday spices online to find the best place to buy spices online. You won’t even have to leave your house!
You can make your own with just a few ingredients:
These are just a few of the must-have spices for the holidays. If you can’t find any of these herbs and spices in your local store, check out the best place to buy spices online.
• Expert staff will advise on the unique differences between spices and spice blends.
• Tips and ideas are available for buying the spices you need and how to use them perfectly.
• Support in choosing your precise spice blend to get the exact flavor profile you need for your recipe.
• Option to buy whole spices, individual spices, and spice blends at bulk prices.
• Buy a little or a lot—you can get the exact amount you need without buying the whole jar. Additionally, you can buy larger quantities of spices you use frequently at a bulk price.
Freshness of Spices
• Buying spices such as peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, and other varieties can ensure several years of use. Pre-ground spices lose flavor much more quickly.
• Whole spices can easily be ground manually or with a spice grinder, which can also be purchased with an online specialty shop so you’ll have exactly what you need.
• Although spices don’t expire for safety reasons, the freshness of jarred, ground and whole spices at your local grocery store can’t be guaranteed. Spices and spice blends at an online store are freshly stocked.
The civil war in Syria is not only a humanitarian tragedy, but is also disrupting the global spice trade.
Syria’s rich, ancient food culture and balmy climate make it a top producer of many popular Mediterranean herbs and spices. The Spice Station’s supply of top quality Syrian sumac, cumin and za’atar has been cut off. Although we are able to find other sources of those herbs, the unique Aleppo pepper is only available from Syria.
Check out the segment that Get Out! did on us here at the Spice Station on TV in Santa Monica City!
We believe that “Every neighborhood should have access to purchasing the highest quality product at affordable prices. Our goal now is to facilitate this process.“
Since this video of the Spice Station on TV, we decided to shut down all physical locations in 2017 and focus solely on online sales and wholesale distribution to restaurants, chefs and specialty shops that carry his brand. A few of our local retailers are Joe Barkeeper in Silverlake and Larchmont Village Wine, Spirit & Cheese.
Peter Bahlawanian continues to develop new spice blends and some notable clients include:
Wolfgang Puck ~ Trois Familia ~ INK ~ Baco Mercat ~ Bestia ~ Bavel ~ Orsa Winston ~ Bar Ama
Kooshi Gourmet ~ Forage ~ Blue Bottle Coffee ~ The Wing ~ Proof Bakery ~ Muddy Paws Coffee
Little Dom’s ~ Howlin’ Ray’s ~ Squirl ~ Stellas ~ Smalltown ~ Petit Trois ~ Beer Belly ~
This shift in focus allows you, the consumer, to buy spices online from an industry-trusted company with a long history of success. Allow yourself to explore our online shop of spices and seasonings from around the world and let imagination and creativity translate into a unique culinary masterpiece.
You can feel proud that the dishes that you make at home will be more authentic, have exotic, whole, real ingredients that have traveled from all around the globe. We hope that whether you are a novice or world-renowned chef, or somewhere in between that you find our online store for spices and seasonings will help you save time and keep you from spending too much money at your local grocery store on overpriced herbs and spices.
We are deeply dedicated and purposefully passionate about the quality of our products and the spirit within our online community. Since the inception of the very first Spice Station, we continually strive to be a community that is transparent, globally conscious, and thoughtful about everything we do. We embrace the diversity in our online community and encourage everyone to take more culinary chances and, well, spice it up a bit!
If you are interested in becoming a Spice Station partner or franchisee in your hometown, it will be a fulfilling and lucrative endeavor.
We highly encourage you to stay more connected with us here at the best spice shop in town (digitally speaking!) and learn more about cooking with new and exotic spices by reading the Spice Station blog! Over time you will develop or deepen your understanding of how to combine and balance flavors, an incredibly important concept when cooking. Your meals will be noticeably more dynamic in flavor and the envy of all at your table.
Have questions or ideas?! Want to contribute to our blog? We’d love to hear from you, please contact us today by clicking here!