Annatto seed is one of the most overlooked spices in the United States. On the back of labels, you can find tiny portions of annatto toward the bottom of many products. However, it is rarely utilized to its fullest potential both in taste and the health benefits it gives. It is a popular ingredient in many South American cultures for different types of sauces and dishes.
One of annatto’s most popular uses is as a dye because of its bold red pigment. As a result of its color and shape, it is sometimes referred to as “lipstick tree”. Despite it being inexpensive and versatile, annatto remains in relative obscurity. Here are three reasons you should utilize this potent spice in your life.
1. As a Natural Coloring Agent
While most people won’t use annatto for this reason, traditionally it’s been one the most common uses. With so many artificial dyes on the market, annatto is a great natural source to use on a variety of items. Cheeses, frosting, pastes, cakes, butter, soaps, clothing, and much more. It gives a pleasant scent to textiles and adds anti-microbial properties.
The shade of the seed as a dye can range from yellow, to bright orange, to red, depending the amount used and the type of material. In order to make a proper dye, follow these steps. First, soak around 100 grams of annatto seeds with 10 grams of plain club soda in water for 8-12 hours. Next, use a blender to break down the seeds. This helps make the dye more concentrated. Finally, simmer on low heat for about an hour and strain the liquid.
2. The Health Benefits
The health benefits of annatto are intriguing and remain in obscurity. While spices such as cinnamon, clove, turmeric, and ginger receive mainstream praise and attention, other spices like annatto are left behind. As a result, people are missing out on some important benefits of many different spices like sumac, annatto, and others.
Annatto seeds contain different minerals and nutrients that help protect the body. For diabetes, spices like annatto, clove, turmeric, and lemongrass are extremely valuable to use in cooking. Research shows a sustained decrease in glucose levels of rats. Instead of the usual effect of lowering glucose for a couple hours, annatto seed caused a prolonged effect. This is an extremely valuable attribute with high potential. Although this research is on rats, it is still very significant because of the possible sustained effect.
Annatto has anti-microbial properties that may help the body defend against different types of pathogens. It may also have applications against foodborne illnesses. The nutrients help to promote good digestion and absorption of nutrients. The thing that makes annatto unique is the carotenoid and tocotrienol content that it contains. Tocotrienols are rare vitamin E compounds that have many different benefits for the eyes, heart, brain, liver, and body. Annatto happens to have the highest ratio of these unique compounds in the world.
In addition, the powerful pigments help protect eye health. These carotenoids may decrease the chances of conditions such as glaucoma, macular degeneration, and cataracts. When used as a paste, annatto may even help to speed healing, cleanse wounds, protect against infection, and reduce the appearance of scars! Lastly, annatto seeds can improve liver health, skin health, and may even help treat gonorrhea. Pretty powerful benefits for a little humble seed!
3. The Flavor
Annatto seed has a unique flavor not found in other spices. When combined with other flavors, it imparts a subtle earthy, peppery, even smokey taste in certain dishes. It is extremely adaptable in the number of culinary applications. Annatto mixes well with smokey flavors, paprika, cumin, turmeric, garlic, saffron, and more. It’s not ideal to use as a stand-alone flavor or within more bitter dishes.
Peruvian Sea Salt: Baking Magic and Health Myth
From the majestic peaks of the Andes comes the magical product known as Peruvian Pink Salt. Peruvian Pink Salt is hand harvested from the fresh springs of the Maras Mountain Region. This sea salt has a course and uneven texture that can be used for many different aspects of life.
What Is Peruvian Pink Salt?
Peruvian Pink Salt is a mild salt that comes from the Andes Mountain Region that holds the key to many health benefits as well as helping to smooth out the taste of many fine foods. Peruvian Pink Salt contains many different nutrients that are believed to be helpful to the human body when ingested with care and precision. So when you ask: What is Peruvian Pink Salt we are able to safely and confidently tell you that it is a mild salt that will keep your health on the top tier when it comes to supplying you with needed minerals and nutrients. These will keep your body operating in an optimal condition.
Uses For This Spice
Peruvian Pink Salt can be used for:
* Seasoning Foods
* The salt is used to regulate your sodium intake because it is easier for your body to absorb the minerals from Peruvian Sea Salt that it is from regular table salt.
* Peruvian Sea Salt is also known to have healing properties. The best way to partake in these advantages is to utilize the salt in a salt bath. This will relax the body and all for your muscle to fully relax and become rejuvenated from the minerals and healing properties.
* Sea Salt can be used to create a face/body mask. The properties of the Sea Salt have anti-inflammatory properties. These aspects can be used to heal and soothe troubled areas of the skin. For those that are troubled with breakouts and skin irritations easily, this is a great addition to your daily skin care routine.
* Sea Salt can also be used to create a homemade body scrub. This salt is very coarse yet smooth and can assist in removing unwanted layers of skin from the body.
* Peruvian Sea Salt can also be used to treat dandruff on the scalp. Please consult a medical Pediatrician before using this on a baby. However, for an adult the properties in salt calm the inflammatory aspects of the scalp that are triggering the dandruff and it absorbs excess oil from the scalp that can be causing bacteria to grow.
* Sea Salt can also be used to whiten your teeth as well as a mouthwash for after brushing. The Sea Salt kills bacteria that can be found in the mouth and can cause bad breath.
Peruvian Sea Salt has many different attribute and characteristics and uses for this spice but one thing that we can assure you of is that it is a great addition to your daily health and meal plan. The minerals that are found in the Peruvian Sea Salt are amazing and can work wonders for the body.
Healthy and Tasty Ginger
Ginger is a tasty spice and it is known to provide an abundance of health benefits to those who consume it. It is actually a natural and flowering plant and has been used as a form of medicine (folk). The actual plant had originated in Asia. It is known as one of the most healthiest spices in the world. Ginger is delicious and healthy all rolled into one spice. Ginger has a large variety of uses:
- syrups (simmered)
- much more
You will discover, there is much more to ginger than meets the eye because the health benefits are going to amaze you.
Ginger: The Enhanced Health Benefits
There are many health benefits of Ginger. Ginger fights nausea and it is known to be anti-viral in the sense that it is highly effective for fighting off many viruses. It is viewed as one of the healthiest spices around. Ginger will enhance health because it has many antioxidants in it which provides many health benefits:
* anti-inflammatory; it can offer anti-viral benefits, antibacterial, and various healthy properties. This is according to some research that has been conducted
* relieves morning sickness; it fights nausea and is safe for relieving morning sickness when pregnant. It is useful to those who are receiving treatment for cancer because it is common to have nausea with various treatments
* relief from flu and cold symptoms; ginger is often used to help people to recover from flu and cold symptoms. Fresh ginger is known to offer protection for the respiratory system. Ginger is used by many to ease some common health ailments
* relieves some aches and pains; some research has shown that daily doses of ginger can relieve muscle pains which may be the result of exercise. It is even known to reduce painful menstrual cramps
* supports heart health; ginger may be beneficial to help lower cardiovascular disease as it supports the health of the heart. Some researchers hold the belief that more studies may prove that ginger may be a safe treatment for treating heart conditions
* reducing cancer risks; ginger is a very good source of antioxidants and it may be useful in reducing the risk of getting cancer
* it tends to stimulate the circulation; it is even known to provide some warmth in terms of the effects
* prevention for ulcers; many people use ginger in place of taking ibuprofen or aspirin. Ginger is viewed as a natural option
These are only a sample of the many benefits which are associated with ginger.
Ginger: A Variety of Forms
Ginger comes in several different forms. It is a tasty powdered spice that enhances many food items. It can be used fresh and dried, candied, crystalized, pickled, and preserved. Ground ginger is the most popular because many use it in their cooking. There are over 100 different ginger plants. Ginger has many varieties and is part of the Globba family. Many people choose to take ginger supplements to enhance their own health while others simply love to use it to add flavor to their food.
Try our ginger root pieces here.