Creative Ways to Use Cocoa
Creative Uses for Cocoa
The word cocoa immediately conjures images of steaming mugs of sweet, creamy hot chocolate on a cold winter evening. While cocoa is a popular pantry staple, few realize that it has many uses, and not just for hot chocolate! Loaded with antioxidants and boasting other health benefits, cocoa is a great way to add a bit of decadence to your everyday. Here are some creative ways to use cocoa.
Chocolate for Breakfast? Yes, Please!
Cocoa is a great addition to otherwise plain breakfast options. Mornings are hard enough, treat yourself!
- Oatmeal: Simply add a spoonful (or two, who’s counting) to your breakfast to jazz up your mornings. Honey or banana helps to reduce the bitter taste.
- Yogurt: Cocoa powder and fruit turn this morning staple into a chocolatey delight.
- Cereal: Sprinkle cocoa over top of your usual dry cereal for a rich treat.
Not Just for Hot Chocolate
Cocoa powder is a fantastic way to liven up any beverage. Cocoa can liven up your favorite smoothie, or even your morning cup o’ joe.
- Smoothies: A couple of tablespoons added to most recipes will elevate your smoothie game to the next level.
- Coffee: Add one tablespoon to your cup, and sweeten as usual. You’re welcome.
Cocoa has uses beyond the kitchen, as well! The rich brown powder not only tastes great, but can make you look great, too.
- Dry shampoo for dark hair: Mix equal parts cornstarch and cocoa, and put into a salt shaker to dispense. Sprinkle the mixture at your roots, rub in, and give the powder 10-15 minutes to absorb excess oils. Brush through your hair, and enjoy another day from your blowout, free of white residue!
- Facial scrub: Mix equal parts coconut oil, honey, and sugar. Add a tablespoon of cocoa and mix until a paste forms. Spread over clean, dry skin and allow to sit for 20 minutes. Massage gently as you rinse your skin, and say hello to your new glow!
Get Your Cake Fix
Cocoa powder is also the main ingredient in this 5-minute chocolate mug cake.
Make Ordinary Baked Goods Extraordinary
Most baked goods can be transformed into chocolate delights with minimal fuss. Try adding cocoa to your zucchini bread, banana bread, or even Sunday morning pancake recipes!
Mixing in a tablespoon of cocoa with peanut butter (or any nut butter) makes for a delectable sandwich spread that satisfies even the most ardent of chocoholics. This heavenly combination makes a great dip for apples, too!
Our Organic Dark Cocoa can be purchased here.