What is Cumin Used For?
Cumin is a spice that has been used for many centuries. Cultures that are known to use cumin as a staple in their foods are Mexican, North African, Indian, and the Mediterranean. The spice is the perfect ingredient when you want to add warmth and earthiness to a variety of dishes. The spice really stands out from other spices because of the flavor it adds, even though it has a peppery aroma, it does not taste like pepper. Cooking with cumin will definitely make your food more flavorful even if you are not a very experienced cook.
Some Background Information On The Spice
The spice currently dates back 4,000 years and was being used by the Egyptians during the Bible times. If you are unfamiliar with the spice you may ask yourself, what does cumin go with? The spice goes excellent with meats, vegetables, stews, and soups. This particular spice breaches all cultural barriers and can be used to warm and spice any food. Here in the United States, this spice is in the top 10 when it comes to being purchased by consumers. Cumin comes as whole dried seeds or as a ground powder.
Cumin is not just used for cooking purposes but it is also used for cosmetic purposes, for medical purposes, and some say even as an aphrodisiac. The seeds of the spice are used in some cultures to make a tea that helps to soothe an upset stomach. It is also recently thought of to help with weight loss. When used as an aphrodisiac, it is said to strengthen a romantic relationship. Most of the bigger spice growing companies like to grow this spice in an area where no pesticides are used and the sun, temperature, and soil are just right. The spice is harvested by hand, sun-dried, and screened very carefully to remove stems and twigs. This is how the spice companies ensure that the spice delivers the purest and the most flavor to food all over the world. It is rare to find such a spice that delivers such awesome flavor and warms up the food so uniquely.
Check out our cumin here.
Cooking with spices is something that most people do on a daily basis, but cooking with holiday spices usually happens only a few times a year. Which spices are reserved for this special time?
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Chai Spice
- Gingerbread spice
These are just some examples of what spices can be used around the holidays.
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Pumpkin Pie Spice can be used for many different things. It can be used for the obvious pumpkin pie, can be added to coffee, used in a pancake batter, used to make muffins, and much more. It is a blend of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg which makes it give you that warm and cozy feeling when you smell it.
Chai is a spice is a combination of ginger, cardamon, cinnamon, black pepper, and anise to create the perfect blend of warm spices. It can be used to make hot drinks and baking. Baking with holiday spice blends such as this one will make you feel warm all Winter long.
Gingerbread is one of the most famous beloved holiday cookies. It is a combination of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. This warm and lovely mixture creates the flavor of the holidays. Use gingerbread spice in cookies, breads, and cakes. Cooking with spices, especially gingerbread, is a sure-fire way to make you feel in the mood for the holidays.
Baking with holiday spice blends is so much more than just cooking with spices. It turns your holiday cooking into warm memories for years to come. That is why baking with your favorite herbs and spices is a special occasion that is reserved for the holidays. Need some holiday recipes? Find some here!
Read more about herbs and spices here!
Nutmeg is typically ground from evergreen tree seeds. It can be cultivated from any species within the genus myristica. It is made from the seed, and mace is made from the leftover webbing around the shell. Nutmeg has many uses. It was a staple of 18th-century cooking, and many people currently add it to sweet foods like cookies, oatmeal, and cake. Those who are wondering how this spice tastes should consider purchasing some raw seeds and grinding them for the freshest taste.
You should grate nutmeg fresh to preserve the flavor. If the natural oils dry out, then the taste will disappear. Whole seeds should be covered and stored in a cool place. An entire seed should provide approximately two or three teaspoons of ground spice. This spice also goes well with dairy products. It is often used in custards, puddings, and warm milk. Ice cream from Grenada often includes a lot of of this wonderful spice. Cooking with nutmeg is relatively simple. This spice can actually be used in just about any recipe. Some people add this spice to grilled steaks or popovers. Those who are considering cooking with this spice should start by using small amounts. Large quantities can overpower the flavor of a dish.
For delicious and timeless desserts, try baking with nutmeg. Try baking a cake can be made from nutmeg, sour cream, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and eggs. You can shop online to find a specialty product that suits your specific needs. This spice can be combined with:
When baking it’s important to remember that a small amount goes a long way.
How to Shop Nutmeg Online
It’s pretty easy to shop this spice online because the it’s inexpensive and easy to find. If you’re looking for a specialty product, then you may want to examine an online store that specializes in different spices. This spice has a very unique flavor and aroma. Learn more about the history of nutmeg, here.
Gone are the days when you had no choice but to venture out to the store for your shopping needs. Today, online is the primary way consumers shop. But let me ask you when was the last time you went online to restock on cumin? You more than likely haven’t because you probably needed the cumin right this instant! There are several reasons why you should skip the store shelves and choose to buy spices online instead.
The first reason why to buy spices online is variety.
- Online retailers offer many unique and uncommon spices.
- Broaden your horizons on new spices, like Wattleseed or Grains of Paradise.
- Browse hundreds of spices and mix up your flavor pallet!
The second reason why to buy spices online is you’ll gain knowledge about the spice.
- Product descriptions can include culture, country of origin, and traditional uses.
- Read about where and how the spice is sourced.
- Understand the flavor profile and explore recipes to use it in!
The third reason why to buy spices online is you’ll omit the middle man.
- The process and production of spices is long: grower, harvester, initial processor, local traders, large processors, wholesalers, retailers, and last, you.
- The more hands the spice passes through the higher the cost.
- Buying straight from the source will ensure you’re buying spices fresh since they’re getting to you faster.
The fourth reason why to buy spices online is that you’ll be buying spices fresh and of higher quality.
- Did you know the turnaround time from picking to shelf is often 12-18 months?!
- Spices off the shelf will not be as robust since within a few months they lose flavor.
- Buying spices fresh will guarantee more flavor, aroma, and life.
- Buy spices whole for the longest shelf life and to avoid fillers, such as flours & stems, often included in ground spices.
So maybe it’s time to reexamine your spice cupboard… are some collecting dust? Toss them and check out online spice retailers for a restock of fresher, higher-quality spices. You’ll surely taste the difference and see why you should buy spices online vs. the store!
Here is a list of herbs and spices to bring the spirit of the holidays to your home. These are simply the must-have spices for the holidays. You can do a quick google search of holiday spices online to find the best place to buy spices online.
Some more common ingredients include:
It can be used to make a deliciously cozy fall drink and is a key ingredient in the pinnacle of all holiday meals, Pie. You can find a pre-made spice mix in the grocery store, but they are often $5 for a few teaspoons. There is no need to purchase those overpriced plastic containers of pre-mixed herbs and spices from the store. Do a quick search for holiday spices online to find the best place to buy spices online. You won’t even have to leave your house!
You can make your own with just a few ingredients:
These are just a few of the must-have spices for the holidays. If you can’t find any of these herbs and spices in your local store, check out the best place to buy spices online.
• Expert staff will advise on the unique differences between spices and spice blends.
• Tips and ideas are available for buying the spices you need and how to use them perfectly.
• Support in choosing your precise spice blend to get the exact flavor profile you need for your recipe.
• Option to buy whole spices, individual spices, and spice blends at bulk prices.
• Buy a little or a lot—you can get the exact amount you need without buying the whole jar. Additionally, you can buy larger quantities of spices you use frequently at a bulk price.
Freshness of Spices
• Buying spices such as peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, and other varieties can ensure several years of use. Pre-ground spices lose flavor much more quickly.
• Whole spices can easily be ground manually or with a spice grinder, which can also be purchased with an online specialty shop so you’ll have exactly what you need.
• Although spices don’t expire for safety reasons, the freshness of jarred, ground and whole spices at your local grocery store can’t be guaranteed. Spices and spice blends at an online store are freshly stocked.